John Snow, Inc. (JSI) is a public health management firm, headquartered in the United States, dedicated to improving the health of individuals and communities throughout the world. JSI has been implementing public health work in Ethiopia for over 25 years.
JSI seeks a dynamic and experienced Sr. Surveillance and Data Management Advisor for a United States Agency for International Development (USAID) funded Public Health Emergency Management (PHEM) Activity. The objectives of the Activity are to reduce morbidity and mortality of Ethiopian citizens related to public health emergencies while ensuring continuity of essential health services (including MNCH) by strengthening the full cycle of public health emergency management: preparedness, response and recovery.
This position is full-time, based in Addis Ababa. S/he will be responsible for providing technical assistance on surveillance and Early Warning, Alert and Response Systems (EWARS) for public health leaders and PHEM officers at local levels. The Sr. Advisor will also work with the health facility Managers to ensure EWARS capacities are built at all levels of the health system providing managerial and operational guidance for the program.
This position is contingent upon donor approval and funding.
- Work closely with COP and senior staff to achieve key deliverables as specified in the work plans and PMP according to agreement requirements, and monitor, analyze and troubleshoot any challenges.
- Provide technical assistance on surveillance and early Warning, Alert, and Response System (EWARS) for public health leaders and PHEM officers at local level.
- Work with health facilities’ managers to ensure EWARS capacities are built at all levels of the health system, providing managerial and operational guidance for the program.
- Coordinate with and leverage ongoing CDC, BRE-TA, and GHSA support to disease and outbreak surveillance, investigation, and management.
- Collaborate with the DHA project to institute a digital health platform to monitor and support real time PHEM data management, analysis, and use of emergency surveillance data at the local level
- Provide technical assistance and training for PHEM officers and leadership on data management, timely analysis and interpretation of data, dissemination of data, and use of real-time data to support evidence-based decision making
- Train health extension workers (HEWs) and community based structures on data recording, interactive and adaptive PHEM and BEC training
- Develop a virtual training platform in collaboration with DHA to support comprehensive, interactive, and adaptive PHEM and BEC training that is usable for mentorship support and interactive expert advice at the woreda level
- Model effective communication, professional relationships, and coordination for timely reporting, both internally and externally.
How to Apply
- Master’s degree in Public Health or related areas preferred. PhD desired.
- Minimum of seven years of demonstrated experience in public health emergency surveillance, specifically in disease surveillance, early detection and alert responses, risk analysis, data management and/or related field epidemiology activities in Ethiopia.
- Experience with, and deep understanding/knowledge of, the Early Warning and Alert Response System (EWARS)
- Extensive experience with surveillance and data management, specifically with public health emergency data
- Proven ability to work in a dynamic national team and build working partnerships.
- Experience of interacting with local governments, international organizations, other bilateral donor and civil society representatives, and senior level government officials.
- Prior work experience with USAID Programs, NGOs and/or international organizations.
- Fluency of English and Amharic in reading/writing/speaking (Level IV) is required.
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID’s policies, priorities, and USG regulations preferred.
- Experience working in conflict or post-conflict settings is a plus.