We are hiring a talented Senior Accountant professional to join our team. If you’re excited to be part of a winning team, Agar Ethiopia is a great place to grow your career. You’ll be glad you applied to Agar Ethiopia.
Purpose of the Position:
S/he ensures the integrity of accounting information by recording, verifying, consolidating, and entering transactions.
The Senior Accountant reports to the Finance Manager and is responsible for preparing financial statements, maintaining cash controls, preparing the payroll, maintaining accounts payable and managing office operations. The Senior Accountant must work within the Financial Management Manual, Agar Ethiopia policies and procedures and in compliance with all Territorial Acts and Legislation of Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia. Failure to provide adequate services may result in lost or misused revenues, inaccurate financial statements and financial hardships for employees, contractors and suppliers if the payroll and/or accounts payables are not processed in an accurate and timely manner.
- Create and analyze liability, asset, and capital accounts by compiling electronic data and required documentation
- Summarize and prepare financial status and transactions reports, including a profit and loss statement, and other necessary reports
- Comply with all federal, state, and local protocols including legal requirements, and interpret new and existing legislation
- Create a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) manual for accounting policy and regulations, and roll out reconciliation procedures
- Monitor and maintain a new audit system by implementing new policies and procedures in the finance department
- Prepares and records asset, liability, revenue, and expenses entries by compiling and analyzing account information.
- Maintains and balances subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, posting, reconciling transactions; resolving discrepancies.
- Maintains general ledger by transferring subsidiary accounts; preparing a trial balance; reconciling entries.
- Produces payroll by initiating computer processing; printing checks, verifying finished product. Completes external audit by analyzing and scheduling general ledger accounts; providing information for auditors.
- Guide Junior accountants and other staff by answering questions and coordinating informational classes
- Focus on tax compliance, state business registration, contract review, and non-profit tax filing
- Play a vital part in the company’s financial management which includes all account reconciliations and reporting to necessary parties.
- Secures financial information by completing database backups
- Protects organization’s value by keeping information confidential
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
- Perform all other duties of finance officer in absence of the finance officer
- Perform other related duties as required
Reports to: Finance Manager
Based at: Head Office
Contract Type: 6 months with possible extension
The Senior Accountant must normally attain the required knowledge, skills and attitudes through completion of a First Degree or above in Accounting from a recognized university or collage in accounting program combined with related minimum 4 years’ and for MSc/MA 2 years’ financial experience. Accounting, GAAP, Research Skills, Analyzing Information, Attention to Detail, Deadline-Oriented, Confidentiality, Thoroughness, Corporate Finance, Financial Software, General Math Skills are the most important financial management qualifications. NGO work experience is advantageous.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The knowledge, skills and attitudes required for satisfactory job performance.
The incumbent must have proficient knowledge in the following areas:
- computerized accounting programs;
- accounts payable and accounts receivables;
- generally accepted accounting principles;
- fund accounting;
- preparation of financial statements;
- preparation of financial reports;
- governmental or municipal services;
- administration of employee benefits;
- payroll systems and reporting;
- office administration;
- an understanding of relevant organizational legislation, policies and procedures;
- an understanding of the NGO cultural and political environment;
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- supervisory skills;
- team building;
- accounting and bookkeeping skills;
- analytical and problem solving skills;
- decision making skills;
- effective verbal and listening communications skills;
- effective written communications skills;
- ability to communicate effectively in English and Amharic;
- computer skills including the ability to operate computerized accounting, spreadsheet and word processing programs at a highly proficient level;
- stress management skills;
- time management skills
- Experience in budget creation for your own department to coordinate team training and certifications
- Thorough understanding of financial application security ensuring that all financial data is secure and complies with confidentiality policies
- Required knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Paychex, Metro, and other applications related to finance and accounting
- Ability to organize and coordinate the work of the unit.
- Ability to explain instructions and guidelines effectively.
- Ability to determine work priorities, review work for quality and production standards.
- Ability to assist others in solving work problems.
- Ability to establish and revise operational standards.
- Ability to compare data from a variety of sources for accuracy, completeness, and financial format.
- Ability to collect, alphabetize, code, numerically rank, sort, and batch financial documents.
- Ability to perform mathematical calculations.
- Ability to prepare and/or process financial documents.
- Ability to apply workers’ disability compensation rules, acts, guidelines, terminology, and practices to specific work situations.
- Ability to abstract relevant and/or significant facts from case materials and data.
- Ability to follow, applies, interpret, and explain instructions and/or guidelines.
- Ability to make decisions and take appropriate actions.
- Ability to meet schedules and deadlines of the work area.
- Ability to communicate effectively and operate standard office equipment.
- Ability to compose routine financial correspondence and reports.
The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Finance Manager. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- be honest and trustworthy;
- be respectful;
- possess cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- be flexible;
- demonstrate sound work ethics;
How to Apply
Interested applicant should send their CV and application letter by email to firstname.lastname@example.org Application within 7 days from the announcement of vacancy at Ethiojobs.
Note: Use “Senior Accountant” as the subject line of your email !