About IRC: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) is one of the largest humanitarian agencies in the world, providing relief, rehabilitation and post-conflict reconstruction support to victims of oppression and violent conflict. IRC has worked for over seven decades in the world addressing both the immediate, life-saving needs of conflict-affected people in an emergency and the reconstruction needs in post-conflict societies. IRC is committed to a culture of bold leadership, innovation in all aspects of our work, creative partnerships and thorough accountability to those we serve.
Under the direct supervision of Filed Coordinator and the Safety and Security Coordinator (SSC), the Safety and Security Officer (SSO) is responsible for facilitating the safety and security of IRC personnel and assets and will be responsible for monitoring the security situation of their respective operation area
1) Network & Access
- Establish and maintain contact with various actors (local authorities, NGOs, UN agencies, security forces, etc…).
- Work with Field Office program teams to build network and acceptance in local communities
- Advise the Field management teams on the possibilities of access to the different zones
- Develop ongoing relationships with community leaders and other power brokers within the IRC operational areas. Work to ensure that IRC, its mission, and work within the IRC operational areas are known and accepted. Work to encourage stakeholders to work with the IRC in ensuring that staff and programs are safe and allowed to continue humanitarian activities.
2) Planning and Documentation
- Collecting safety and security related information and identify the threats and advise the field team.
- Conduct Safety and Security Risk Assessment to respective field office operation area in consultation with field offices
- Participate in the development of Security Plans (SMP) including appropriate procedures and contingency plans.
- Ensure that all documents are up to date and operational.
- Evaluate and maintain contingency plans adapted to the local context, in particular for evacuation, hibernation and travel.
3) Information and Analysis
- Identify and report all the security information and events, especially those could have an impact on IRC operations.
- Work closely with all staff to ensure that safety and security incidents are reported in accordance with IRC standards.
- Provide and share daily situation report (DSR) and weekly security updates.
4) Trainings and Briefings
- Provide an on-arrival security briefing to all the visitors and new staff
- Identified staff training needs and report to Field Coordinator and Country Safety and security coordinator.
- Provide ongoing training for drivers and guards, as well as for other staff as necessary.
5) Building safety
- Ensure the monitoring and replacement of safety equipment in IRC buildings (fire extinguishers, etc.).
- Ensure the renewal of emergency stocks in IRC offices and guest houses.
- Ensure that each IRC office and guest house has an evacuation plan in case of fire
- Conduct regular security & safety assessments of offices, satellite offices, camps, warehouse to identify any vulnerabilities and give appropriate recommendations.
- Ensure having security guards in all IRC facilities with supervision and planning.
6) Monitoring, Analysis, and Incident Management:
- The SSO will provide support in the event of a safety or security incident affecting an IRC staff member.
- The SSO may work on any other task requested by his/her supervisor, including support to the program or support services teams.
- Compile and submit daily situation report and also that track incidents and trends within the IRC’s area of operation. Submit contextual updates as needed.
7) Security Training and Orientation of Staff and Visitors
- With the support of the SSC provide Safety & Security trainings to IRC staff, based on the findings of the Security Risk Assessment.
- Maintain, review and update the On-Arrival Safety & Security briefings in the IRC operational areas.
- Maintain, a tracker of briefed Staff and visitors on Orientations, and Trainings.
- At least 2 years experiences in the security field or training skills specially in security and law enforcement institution is desirable
- Good knowledge of MS Office and computer tools used by IRC.
- Good knowledge of the environment and humanitarian principles.
- Highly organized
- Ability to work independently;
- Flexibility to work in different locations. Frequent travel into operation sites
- Excellent level of written and spoken English and Amharic – Other local languages will be a plus
- Previous experience working in Gambella is advantageous
How to Apply
Candidates who meet the above qualifications; please send your CV and application letter only through IRC career site:
Your application letter/cover letter must include the following information:
- Name of the position you have applied for
- Date of application
- Summary of your qualifications and experience
- Motivation/objective of why you have applied for the job
- Please include at least 3 references from current and former supervisors.
Standards of Professional Conduct: The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and carries out policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality: We are committed to narrowing the gender gap in leadership positions. We offer benefits that provide an enabling environment for women to participate in our workforce including parental leave, gender-sensitive security protocols and other supportive benefits and allowances
Equal Opportunity Employer: We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.