SPECIAL VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT (SVN)
Open to Internal and external candidates
|Vacancy No.||IOM- VN/0137/22|
|Position Title||Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support)|
|Duty Station||Gonder, Ethiopia|
|Type of Appointment||Nine months possibility of extension|
|Estimated Start Date||December 01, 2022|
|Posting Period||21.10.2022 – 04.11.2022|
The International Organization for Migration (IOM) is the UN Migration Agency with 174 Member States. IOM works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners in the field of migration. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Since the inception of IOM in 1951, Movement Operations have been and continue to be a fundamental pillar of the Organization’s work. The organized movement of persons in need of international migration assistance is a primary mandate of the Organization and a cornerstone of IOM’s operations. This mandate has resulted in the international transport of more than 15 million migrants and refugees worldwide. Movement Operations Units in various IOM Country Offices, coordinated under the Division of Resettlement and Movement Management (RMM) in the Department of Operations and Emergencies (DOE) at IOM’s Geneva Headquarters (HQ), are responsible for all aspects of travel for migrants and refugees under IOM’s auspices, in accordance with the various framework agreements with resettlement and receiving Governments and partners across the spectrum of the Organization’s programmes.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
Under the general supervision of the Chief of Mission and the direct supervision Associate Operation Officer (Field support), the Senior Operations Assistant (Field Support) is responsible for supervising movement operations activities in the field, with the following duties and responsibilities:
In particular, the incumbent will perform the following duties:
- Coordinate a team or teams of up to a total of eight staff members undertaking field activities in an assigned area or areas, such as at an airport, transit center, third-party facility, camp-based operation or sub-office, or in relation to transportation, including supporting staff development processes such as hiring, providing training, assigning duties and giving feedback to staff members on their performance on a regular basis to ensure high quality work and the accurate completion of field support activities.
- Coordinate the efficient and effective management of airport services, including care and verification of travel documentation; assistance with airport formalities; escorts for arriving and departing individuals; ensuring individuals with special needs or equipment receive appropriate support; and sending notifications using relevant systems. Schedule daily work for Field Support staff, ensuring adequate coverage for all flight arrivals and departures based on advanced booking notifications (ABNs) and onward movements, and ensure staff have adequate power and IT availability to complete their work. Handle all urgent issues as they occur and process relevant financial paperwork in coordination with IOM management.
- Coordinate staff as they assist individuals at transit centers or third-party facilities throughout their stay. Coordinate with Associate Operation Officer (Field support) to maintain an organized flow of individuals and their luggage through arrival and departure procedures at the facility; track relevant information regarding flight data and ensure team members are updated on departure times, delays and cancellations; work with staff to ensure luggage and medical checks are organized in an efficient manner; under the supervision of [INSERT TITLE OF DIRECT SUPERVISOR HERE], create the weekly shift schedule and assign tasks, ensuring coverage is adequate to maintain a safe, secure and clean environment; report regularly to management on long-stayers and other relevant issues, employing creative problem solving as needed to handle problems. In coordination with Associate Operation Officer (Field support)handle financial paperwork.
- Coordinate timely and adequate services for meals, snacks and water for individual staying at Transit Centers, third-party facilities or during transit in airports and other locations, ensuring staff members work closely with the service provider to ensure meals are culturally appropriate and to reduce the level of waste while keeping the quality of the food at the highest standard.
- Coordinate pre-departure formalities including but not limited to counselling, travel loans, luggage, prohibited items, bag tags and clothing/shoes. Schedule and supervise daily discussions with individuals staying in facilities on cleanliness, litter and hygiene. Ensure all posters and informational messages are up-to-date and placed in visible locations.
- Provide oversight at transit centers and third-party facilities for extended periods of up to 12 hours and during overnight periods and weekends, ensuring the needs of individuals are met throughout their stay. Communicate promptly with third-party facility representatives and/or management if issues arise.
- Supervise the coordination of transportation from consolidation points, transit centers and third-party facilities, including liaising with service providers, supervising staff as they ensure the identity verification, readiness and organization of individuals being transported, and preparing and supervising relevant briefings. Ensure baggage sorting, tagging and handling is done appropriately and that staff members arrange for individuals to be escorted on transportation as needed. Ensure persons with special needs are provided with appropriate services and report any issues to supervisors immediately.
- Coordinate and/or provide pre-screening, pre-departure orientation and selection mission support, medical processing support, exit permit support and/or interpretation services for individuals at the airport, in transit centers, camps, consolidation points, IOM facilities and third-party facilities or during transport by air, ground or water.
9. Under the close supervision Associate Operation Officer (Field support), liaise as needed with other Teams and Units in IOM Ethiopia and with external partners such as airport and government authorities, relevant embassies, and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR). Provide regular feedback on work being accomplished to the Associate Operation Officer (Field support) and keep supervisors immediately informed of any issues that arise.
10. As needed, and under the close supervision of Associate Operation Officer (Field support) assist with financial activities related to movement operations, such as petty cash payments and reports.
11. Train Field Support Team members as needed to efficiently and effectively manage their work, conduct quality assurance, and to monitor and guide other Field Support staff members and activities.
12. Alert Associate Operation Officer (Field support) or management of any non-compliance to SOPs or codes of conduct by IOM staff members or partners.
13. Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
· Four years of working experience with bachelor’s degree in Business Management, Business administration, Social Sciences or related field of study.
· Prior Movement Operations, transportation-related and/or management experience a strong advantage.
· Fluency in English and Amharic is required (oral and written).
· Working knowledge of Somalia, Tigrigna, Arabic and other languages of refugees in Ethiopia is an advantage.
Strong computer skills – Word, Excel and Internet.
Values and competencies
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies:
· Inclusion & respect for diversity: Respects and promotes individual and cultural differences. Encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
· Integrity & transparency: Maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
· Professionalism: Demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
· Teamwork: Develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
· Delivering results: Produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner. Is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
· Managing and sharing knowledge: Continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
· Accountability: Takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
· Communication: Encourages and contributes to clear and open communication. Explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
- Leadership: provides a clear sense of direction, leads by example and demonstrates the ability to carry out the organization’s vision; assists others to realize and develop their potential.
- Empowering others & building trust: creates an atmosphere of trust and an enabling environment where staff can contribute their best and develop their potential.
- Strategic thinking and vision: works strategically to realize the Organization’s goals and communicates a clear strategic direction.
How to Apply
How to apply:
For external applicants to be considered, applicants are required to apply via ethiojobs.net and Internal applicants via SLOAddisAbabaHR@iom.int indicating the vacancy number and position title as mentioned in the vacancy announcement he/she applied for in the email Subject line. Any application without this information in the subject line will be excluded from the applications and attach the following:
o Motivation/Application letter
o CV (written in English) with three professional referees and their contacts (both email and telephone)
o Copies of Academic Certificates from Accredited Universities
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
We strongly encourage qualified female applicants to apply!
From 21 October 2022 – 04 November 2022