Hiring organization: Unilever
Job Title: R&D Assistant Manager – Nutrition
Category: Research Science
Seniority level: Mid-Senior level
We are looking for a challenge-driven, inquisitive, passionate, and disruptive thinker to join us in leading the creation and development of healthier innovative products and sustainable packaging. This role is based at the Addis Ababa head office, but the individual would need to regularly visit the Nutrition factory in Dukem to support the execution of all our innovation and renovation, savings, resilience, and localization initiatives. Within the R&D organization, this role will enable you to collaborate with the product development and packaging community (regional and global), Processing and CTI team. Outside of R&D, you will be exposed to Marketing, Supply Chain, Finance, Customer Development, and the Nutrition Business Team.
- Plan and execute factory trials for product and packaging options- work with regional and factory teams to resolve technical challenges
- Lead a cross-functional team to deliver business-relevant projects – innovation, renovation, and business continuity initiatives.
- Effectively collaborate with procurement/quality in the qualification of new suppliers and resolve issues as required
- Responsible for the integrity of specifications, ensuring that all new or renovated products and packaging have & match agreed specifications
- Understand all systems work for Bill of Material management
- Management of technical details on the artwork, work with the artwork excellence team to ensure error-free artwork is released to the supplier
- Data capturing (qualitative and quantitative) and presentation/reporting
- Collaborate with the regional team based in South Africa in product qualification including product stability and performance testing – internal and external
- Conduct market analysis and taste sessions to identify points of differentiation for products and packaging options and make recommendations to support superiority design and claims
- Provide feedback to the consumer care team on consumer queries and partner with relevant departments in issue resolution
- Manage R&D Laboratory and participate in the maintenance of an audit compliant Nutrition lab and working areas
- Stay abreast of technical developments and regulatory updates in the Nutrition category
- Commit to personal development and professional growth by actively participating in personal development initiatives discussed or mentioned in the Future Fit Plan.
Critical Success Factors for the Job
- Product and packaging development skills
- Great people skills – building and maintaining relationship
- Business and numerical skills
- Experienced in supplier and consumer engagement
- Ability to work independently and as part of a wider cross-functional team.
- Good communication skills – written and verbal
- Experienced in risk assessment and management
- Ability to coordinate product taste sessions and no diet restriction
- Knowledge of appropriate digital tools
- Degree in Food Science/Technology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, Chemistry, and Chemical Engineering
- Prior experience in R&D, Quality, and Production
Unilever is an organisation committed to equity, inclusion and diversity to drive our business results and create a better future, every day, for our diverse employees, global consumers, partners, and communities. We believe a diverse workforce allows us to match our growth ambitions and drive inclusion across the business. At Unilever we are interested in every individual bringing their ‘Whole Self’ to work and this includes you! Thus if you require any support or access requirements, we encourage you to advise us at the time of your application so that we can support you through your recruitment journey.
How to apply:
If you are interested in the post and feel that you are suitable for the role, then apply through the below iink: