Title: Protection Assistant – Roving (Re – advertised)
Location: Addis Ababa
Employment Category: I1
Reporting To: Protection Manager
Start of Contract & Duration: 7 Months
Posting date: September 12, 2022
Required Employee: 1
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
Under the supervision and guidance of the DRC Ethiopia Protection Manager and the RPA Coordinator, the RPA Assistants will be part of the emergency protection mobile team which will be deployed to areas of onset emergencies in Ethiopia. As a member of the protection team, the protection assistants will be responsible for implementing an emergency protection response in collaboration with the DRC emergency team. The position holder is responsible for conducting protection activities as well as ensuring protection mainstreaming in emergency response activities. Specifically, she or he will plan, implement, monitor, and document protection activities by supporting the emergency response projects and working closely with protection colleagues at field levels. The position will, furthermore, be tasked to participate in emergency assessments where Protection is severely lacking presence. Additionally, the RPA Assistants will contribute to the identification and assistance of vulnerable individuals and households for support through referrals and provision of individual protection assistance.
Programming & Operations
- In collaboration with the emergency teams and field teams, ensure that all Protection principles are mainstreamed in all of DRC’s emergency interventions
- Under the supervision of the Protection Manager, the officer will contribute to rapid assessments, protection analysis, and the mapping and identification of protection needs in emergencies, here under draft assessment reports and situation reports
- Participate in emergency protection needs and vulnerability assessment whenever necessary.
- Support in the implementation of protection activities in the emergency response and ensure delivery, quality, and adherence to national and international protection standards and guidelines;
- Support in the identification, verification, and prioritization of the most vulnerable individuals for service using agreed vulnerability criteria, during the conduction of emergency response
- Ensure the provision of effective protection services and referrals during the emergency response.
- Identify individuals with special needs and provide specialized emergency assistance.
- Ensure community engagement, effective communication, and conflict sensitivity throughout the response
- Collaborate with relevant partners to develop and maintain protection referral mechanisms.
- Under the supervision of the Protection Manager and in consultation with the MEAL team ensure beneficiaries’ feedback and complaints are respectfully collected and responses are provided as per DRC’s framework for beneficiaries’ feedback and complaints collection and response mechanisms;
- Participate in the conduction of awareness sessions on protection-related topics.
- Work closely with the Protection Manager, Protection coordinators, and other protection staff to undertake other protection tasks.
Reporting and Documentation:
- Support in the development of daily, weekly and monthly reports.
- Ensure proper documentation of all project activities including means of verification and assessments.
- Assisting in developing and conducting rapid assessments, mid-term and end of project reports, and evaluations.
- Keep accurate records of activities, beneficiaries involved, and issues identified. Regularly update case files and databases according to DRC procedures;
- Ensure the adherence to Ethical data collection and data protection and data sharing protocols throughout the protection monitoring process;
- Carry out any additional protection activities as assigned by the protection manager, including short-term deployments to area offices within DRC Ethiopia, based on need;
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- 1-3 years’ experience (paid or voluntary) in an entry-level position, with experience in the field of protection in a humanitarian response working for an international NGO, UN agency or relevant ministry or local authority, or related field;
- Experience in conducting protection monitoring and protection assessments;
- Proven record of planning and facilitating community awareness sessions, training, and workshops on protection-related topics;
- Technical understanding of core protection concepts, prevention and response strategies in line with best practices and ethical data collection and data protection protocols;
- Experience in identifying and responding to needs of particularly vulnerable individuals or people of concern based on protection risks, age, gender, diversity analysis, and/ or other criteria;
- Strong planning, organizational, analytical, and problem-solving skills with the ability to work both independently and within a team;
- Integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to consistently meet deadlines under pressure;
- Commitment to learning and implementing organizational policies and procedures;
- Full proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel; proficiency in Kobo and other data collection/analysis tools desirable
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- University degree in law, social work, social science, or another relevant field from a recognized institution.
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent proficiency in written and spoken English and Amharic required;
- Proficiency in other local languages is an advantage
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspx?cid=1036&departmentId=19012&ProjectId=165720 under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than September 26, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.