Title: Economic Recovery officer
Location: Gambella with frequent travel to field sites Locations in Ethiopia
Employment Category: H
Reporting To: Economic recovery team leader
Start of Contract & Duration: Ten Months (10)
Posting date: September 12, 2022
Required Employee: 1
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender-based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
OVERALL PURPOSE OF THE ROLE:
The Economic Recovery Officer will oversee the planning and implementation of high quality and timely delivery of Multi-Purpose cash Assistance and Economic Recovery activities, under the line management of the DRC Economic Recovery team leader, with technical support from the Economic Recovery Coordinator, and in close collaboration with DRC protection field team and other DRC staff.
- Plan, supervise and facilitate DRC’s Cash and Economic Recovery-related interventions in the refugee Setting and host community areas.
- Ensure the high quality and timeliness of DRC’s Cash, Economic Recovery, and income-generating activities.
- Empower refugees and host communities to be able to manage their issues by themselves and have the ability to sustain Cash and Economic Recovery projects
- Facilitate relations between DRC, the target communities, and local authorities, taking particular care to consider youth, women’s, and girls’ specific needs in Cash and Economic Recovery.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS
Programming & Operations
- Contributes to the daily operation with comprehensive knowledge in a specific area
- Support the implementation of Cash and economic recovery assessments, gathering quality data, and support the development of market-led activities
- Deliver market-led economic recovery activities with components of agriculture, business development, cash transfers, private sector engagement, financial inclusion, group enterprise development
- Assist and empower the communities to enable them to manage self-reliance issues by themselves and be able to sustain Cash and Economic recovery projects.
- Ensure equal participation by all segments of the community, taking into consideration issues regarding gender, age, disability, and clan affiliation.
- Regularly monitor and evaluate the performance of the project, provide timely inputs, feedback, and impact of the DRC Cash and Economic Recovery interventions in Gambella
- Develop and implement surveys and needs assessments in refugee and host community areas in collaboration with the field team and other stakeholders.
- Support the coordination of micro-loan services to refugees in the camps, with a focus on vulnerable refugees.
- Support market-led interventions and the development of private-sector partnerships
- Deliver training on income-generating activities, vocational skills training other economic recovery-related fields.
- Support agricultural and related activities in the Gambella region
- Ensure that DRC’s objectives are disseminated and that policies and procedures are properly followed.
Coordination and representation
- Collaborate with relevant internal and external technical experts on issues related to relevant sector
- Ensure integration of sector activities with other DRC sectors
- Coordinate with sector counterparts in other locations in the implementation of common funded projects
- Ensure good representation and reputation of the sector at all levels.
- Actively participate in the internal coordination meeting
- Ensure and actively participate in regular sector meetings
- Monthly and yearly work plans;
- Weekly, Monthly, quarterly and annual reports to DRC and partners.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master
DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Experience and technical competencies: (include years of experience)
- First Degree or equivalent in Agriculture, Rural Development and Agricultural Extension, Natural Resources Management, Animal Production, Agricultural Business Management, Agricultural economics, or another relevant field;
- Minimum two years of experience delivering Cash and Economic recovery solutions (income-generating activities, vocational training, non-formal training, employment opportunity creation, micro-financing, or similar) preferably in refugee and host community areas;
- Minimum two years’ experience working in community development, refugee assistance, and/or community mobilization;
- Experience in working with Non-Governmental organizations;
- Good command of spoken and written English;
- Prior experience implementing Cash and Economic recovery in refugee, IDP, and host community settings is an advantage;
- Experience working with local government organizations, and planning and implementing capacity-building activities, is an advantage.
- Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and meetings;
- Understanding of gender, protection, and human rights;
- Well-developed computer skills;
EDUCATION: (include certificates, licenses, etc.)
- First Degree or equivalent in Economics, agricultural economics, business management, or another relevant field;
LANGUAGE: (indicate fluency level)
- Full professional proficiency in English.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit an updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online-application form on https://candidate.hr-manager.net/ApplicationForm/SinglePageApplicationForm.aspx?cid=1036&departmentId=19012&ProjectId=165721 under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than September 26, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status, or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.