Title: Communications Manager (Ethiopia Migration Programme-Communications Lead)
Location: Addis Ababa,
Employment Category: F1
Reporting To: Chief of Party (COP), Ethiopia Migration Programme (EMP)
Direct Reports: Deputy Information and Communication Lead, Migration Information Coordinator
Unit/Department: Ethiopia Migration Programme (EMP)
Contract Duration: Until September 30, 2023
Posting date: September 7, 2022
Closing date: September 21, 2022
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC), an international non-governmental organization (NGO), has been providing relief and development services in the Horn of Africa since 1997. DRC promotes and supports solutions to the problems faced by refugees, internally displaced people (IDPs), and migrants. The organization has offices across the region, and has been operational in Ethiopia since 2009. With funding from bilateral and multilateral donors, DRC is currently implementing a range of activities across Ethiopia and Djibouti, including WASH and shelter provision, child and youth protection, gender based violence response, awareness-raising of migration risks, protection monitoring of migration routes, and livelihoods support for returning migrants or those at-risk of migration.
The Danish Refugee Council (DRC) is implementing the Ethiopia Migration Programme (EMP), a UK-funded programme to make migration through and from Ethiopia safer. The programme has an operational footprint in Addis Ababa and involves several partner organisations and subcontractors with core responsibility for implementation of EMP objectives.
Overall Purpose of the Role:
The Manager (Communications Lead) will work closely with the EMP Chief of Party (COP), Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP), partner organisations and other EMP staff to design and deliver a high-quality Communications Strategy. The Communications Lead will also be accountable for the design, planning, implementation and monitoring of all activities under EMP’s Communications and Information workstream. The Communications Lead will manage implementation of communications activities in the field through effective coordination with EMP’s Information and Communication Team Leaders and will oversee the implementation of national-level communications outputs by external partners.
Strategy and Design
- Lead the design, delivery and regular review of the programme’s Communication Strategy
- Identify principles and objectives for stakeholder and public engagement to support FCDO and EMP’s overall objectives
- Identify opportunities and activities to establish a strong identity and brand for EMP, including through targeted communications, broader engagement activities, ad hoc advisory services, and/or co-branding activities where appropriate and agreed with FCDO.
- Oversee programme activity compliance with the EMP Branding Guidelines to ensure activities are utilised to effectively build the identity and reputation of EMP in Ethiopia.
- Oversee programme communications and signage to ensure they align with EMP/DRC and FCDO policies on information sharing.
- Develop and maintain inputs to work planning and resource planning for communications activities, in coordination with COP, DCOP and Programme Manager (PM).
- Review and approve all programme communications outputs
- Provide technical advice and support to EMP’s communication partners in planning and developing relevant information and communication products targeted at beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Lead the design and delivery of targeted capacity building support for select local implementing and multimedia production partners.
- Oversee EMP information hub (IH) activities, deliveries and management with close collaboration with deputy information and communication lead, migration Information coordinator and team leaders.
- Lead EMP Information and Communication teams to ensure quality delivery of information services provided by the program through in-person consultation at the information hub, information sessions and dissemination of IEC materials in/outside the information hub.
- Ensure approval processes for public domain materials are obtained, and processes for engaging with the media, if necessary, are followed.
- Contribute to and maintain the programme’s social media presence, where appropriate (approving/posting new content, liaising with relevant production partners)
- Maintain good working relationships with government ministries and officials, implementing partners and international and local NGO community, where necessary.
Reporting and Other
- Develop and manage processes for identifying and assessing the performance of Communications outputs in coordination with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) team.
- Support the COP in developing narrative reporting and updates on activity progress.
- Any other related responsibilities as defined by the COP during the life of the programme.
Experience and Technical Competencies: (include years of experience)
- At least five years’ experience in journalism, corporate or government communications, civil society/NGO or other types of externally facing communications roles related to humanitarian/migration and development programmes.
- Experience working in Ethiopia, Horn of Africa and/or East Africa highly desirable
- Experience working on UK development programmes and/or on programmes funded by other development donors is preferred
- Demonstrated experience using cutting edge communication tools and technologies to engage and influence stakeholders
- Experience in social media strategy planning, content creation, and community management
- Proven experience crafting messages in various formats (articles, press releases, websites, photos, success stories, blog entries, tweets, etc.) targeting a variety of audiences
- Exceptional, proven writing and editing skills (English) and the ability to summarise and repackage technical information in clear, compelling language
- Ability to engage with diverse audiences. This includes donors, governments, the private sector and the diverse EMP team and partners
- Strong literacy in Microsoft packages with knowledge of Adobe products is a distinct advantage
- Experience in on-the-job mentoring
- Self-motivation, creativity, excellent organisational skills, proven ability to perform multiple tasks, and ability to work with both internal and external stakeholders
Education (include certificates, licenses etc.):
- Tertiary qualifications in communications, journalism, international relations, or a related field (post graduate qualifications highly desirable)
Languages: (indicate fluency level)
- Excellent verbal and written English
- Knowledge of Amharic or Tigrigna an added advantage.
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Acting in line with DRC’s vision and values
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the required qualifications and experience are invited to submit updated CV and cover letter explaining their motivation and why they are suited for the post.
We only accept applications sent via our online application form on www.drc.ngo under Vacancies.
Please forward the application and CV, in English through the stated website no later than September 21, 2022.
For general information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult www.drc.ngo
- Gender Equality: DRC is committed to achieving gender parity in staffing at all levels. In light of this, women candidates are particularly encouraged to apply to bridge the gender gap.
- Equal Opportunities: DRC is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment based on mutual respect for all employees. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, sex, disability status, religion, ethnic origin, colour, race, marital status or other protected characteristics
We encourage only qualified Ethiopian Nationals to apply. DRC considers all applicants based on merit.