Currently, Ethiopia is set to have a comprehensive national dialogue which is expected to convene to address a broad set of issues. As part of this effort to build national consensus, Ethiopia ratified the proclamation for the establishment of the Ethiopian National Dialogue Commission, Proclamation No. 1265/2021. Considering the positive roles CSOs can play to ensure women’s representation in the Ethiopian national dialogue, variety of CSOs has established a coalition by the name “Coalition for Women’s Voice in the National Dialogue” aimed at promoting gender inclusivity in every stage of the national dialogue process.
The Coalition for Women’s Voice in the National Dialogue was established on 16 March 2022 with the aim to ensure women’s meaningful representation in the forthcoming Ethiopian National Dialogue process and to ensure that the process responds to and addresses Ethiopian women’s needs, perspectives, priorities, and aspirations. With over 45 member civil society organizations, the Coalition operates with seven steering committee members and a secretariat, i.e., TIMRAN. The Coalition finds it necessary to form an independent national dialogue team to look after the Coalition’s activities since it has an exclusive mission to work towards gender inclusive national dialogue. The team will be accountable to the Secretariat of the Coalition.
We are looking to hire a dedicated communications officer to join our team. The communications officer will support the coalition’s internal and external communications strategy, write and disseminate publicity material, respond to inquiries from the public and media, and coordinate promotional events.
Duties and Responsibilities
More precisely, Communication Officer will:
- Collaborate with management to develop and implement an effective communications strategy based on our target audience.
- Write, edit, and distribute content, including publications, press releases, website content, quarter and annual reports, speeches, and other material that communicates the Coalition’s activities and/or services.
- Respond to media inquiries, arrange interviews, and act as a spokesperson for the Coalition.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with journalists, and maintain a media database.
- Seek opportunities to enhance the reputation of the coalition activities and coordinate publicity events as required.
- Maintain records of media coverage and collate analytics and metrics.
- Proficiency in design and publishing software.
- Manage conflict as it arises and escalate to management.
- Working with women to develop and improve their skill set.
- Perform other related tasks of the coalition
Employment Type: Contract (1 year, with possibility of extension)
To succeed as a communications officer, the applicant should be able to think creatively, and have excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
The applicant should have the following qualification
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, journalism, or related field.
- Experience in gender related activities is a plus.
- Minimum of 2-5 years’ relevant experience in a communications role.
- Knowledge of desktop publishing software (In graphics design/ Photoshop).
- Ability to work in multidisciplinary and multilingual teams.
- Ability to use initiative, prioritize, multi-task, and work well under pressure to meet deadlines.
- Have a great capacity for organization, synthesis and report writing.
- Have an excellent level of spoken and written language in Amharic and a good practice of English. Knowledge of other local language is a plus.
- Good time management and organizational skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, content management systems, and social media platforms
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates shall submit their CV (max. 3 pages), and credentials to email@example.com
Note: Use ” Communication Officer ” as the subject line of your email !
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Qualified person with disability and female applicants are strongly encouraged to apply.
Closing date: September 30, 2022