We are hiring a talented Head Nurse/Health Team Leader to join our team. If you’re excited to be part of a winning team, Agar Ethiopia is a great place to grow your career. You’ll be glad you applied to Agar Ethiopia
Purpose of the Position:
Promotes and restores patients’ health by developing day-to-day management and long-term planning of the patient care area; directing and developing staff; collaborating with physicians and multidisciplinary professional staffs; providing physical and psychological support for patients, friends, and families.
S/he is responsible for providing skilled nursing management to the center and care services to clients or patients in the rehabilitation center, and case managing nursing and non-skilled care and services, when necessary. All nursing services will be performed according to compliance with state and local laws/ regulations, the Nurse Practice Act, and the COC accreditation standards. S/he in collaboration with the Registered Nurses will visit multiple patients each day and provide them with a full range of personalized care, which may include such items as instruction on chronic disease management and medication, pain management, wound care, IV infusion, and postoperative instruction. Part of the job is to work with patients and provide the tools they need to ensure their own recovery. Seeing the end results of their recovery is just one of the many rewards of the position.
Major responsibilities and target accomplishments expected of the position including the typical problems encountered in carrying out the responsibilities. The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to mean as exclusive or all inclusive. Other duties may be required and assigned as deemed necessary. The specific duties as a Head Nurse will include:
Major Job Duties:
- Supervises and coordinates nursing activities: Assigns duties and coordinates nursing service
- Identifies patient service requirements by establishing personal rapport with potential and actual patients and other persons in a position to understand service requirements.
- Maintains nursing guidelines by writing and updating policies and procedures.
- Observes nursing care and visits patients to ensure that nursing care is carried out as directed, and treatment administered in accordance with physician’s instructions.
- Maintains nursing operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures.
- Inspects rooms and wards for cleanliness and comfort
- Assures quality of care by developing and interpreting rehabilitation center and nursing philosophies and standards of care; enforcing adherence to state board of nursing and state nurse practice act requirements and to other governing agency regulations; measuring health outcomes against standards; making or recommending adjustments.
- Maintains nursing staff by recruiting, selecting, orienting, and training nurses and auxiliary staff.
- Completes patient care requirements by scheduling and assigning nursing and staff; following up on work results.
- Maintains nursing staff job results by coaching, counseling, and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Establishes a compassionate environment by providing emotional, psychological, and spiritual support to patients, friends, and families.
- Promotes patient’s independence by establishing patient care goals; teaching and counseling patient, friends, and family and reinforcing their understanding of disease, medications, and self-care skills.
- Provides information to patients and health care team by answering questions and requests.
- Resolves patient needs by utilizing multidisciplinary team strategies.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by designing and implementing procedures, rules, and regulations; calling for assistance from other health care professionals.
- Protects patients and employees by developing and interpreting infection-control policies and protocols; enforcing medication administration, storage procedures, and controlled substance regulations.
- Maintains patient confidence and protects operations by monitoring confidential information processing.
- Maintains documentation of patient care services by auditing patient records.
- Orders, or directs ordering of drugs, solutions, and equipment, and maintains records on narcotics.
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual budget; scheduling expenditures; analyzing variances; initiating corrective actions.
- Ensures operation of medical and administrative equipment by verifying emergency equipment availability; completing preventive maintenance requirements; following manufacturer’s instructions; troubleshooting malfunctions; calling for repairs; maintaining equipment inventories; evaluating new equipment and techniques..
- Maintains nursing supplies inventory by studying usage reports; identifying trends; anticipating needed supplies; approving requisitions and cost allocations.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional societies.
- Maintains a cooperative relationship among health care teams by communicating information; responding to requests; building rapport; participating in team problem-solving methods.
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed
- Participates in orientation and training of personnel.
- Investigates and resolves complaints, or refers unusual problems to superior.
Reports to: Rehabilitation center manager
Based at: Addis Ababa Male Rehabilitation Center
Contract Type: 6 months with possible extension
A Head Nurse/ Health Team Leader must be dependable, professional, and energetic with a positive and empathetic personality. S/he needs to have strong organizational management, assessment, and problem solving abilities. It is also important that s/he display excellent communication and interpersonal skills as well as the ability to interact well with patients, families, and staff. Judgment, Supervision, Informing Others, Nursing Skills, creating a Safe, Effective Environment, Sanatorium Environment, Medical Teamwork, Listening, Pain Management, Administering Medication, and Adult Health are essential qualifications of the Head Nurse.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Personal Attributes:
The knowledge, skills, abilities and attitudes required for satisfactory job performance.
- Specific qualifications for the Head Nurse/Health Team Leader position include:
- BSc in Nursing with Minimum 4 years of nursing experience; center care experience, preferred;
- Valid and current Registered Nurse license in the state of practice;
- COC certified;
- Experience in Medical/Surgical, Psychiatric, or ICU experience, a plus;
- NGO work experience is advantageous
- Solid supervisory skills;
- Excellent communication skills, flexible and able to interact positively with other staff;
- Possess excellent computer skills;
- Strong sense of initiative and urgency in addressing unexpected patient crises;
- Self-directed, able to work without presence of immediate supervisor;
- Commitment to regulatory compliance and submitting all documentation in a timely fashion;
- Demonstrated knowledge regarding exposure to body fluids and chemicals, as well as to some hazardous equipment;
- Ability to see and hear adequately to respond to auditory and visual requests;
- Evidence of adequate health status to perform duties;
- Ability to pass a background screen;
- Ability to travel as required;
- Physical abilities to adequately perform described duties;
The incumbent must maintain strict confidentiality in performing the duties of the Head Nurse/ Nurse Manager. The incumbent must also demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- be honest and trustworthy;
- be respectful;
- possess cultural awareness and sensitivity;
- be flexible;
- demonstrate sound work and nursing ethics;
How to Apply
Interested applicant should send their CV and application letter by email to email@example.com Application within 7 days from the announcement of vacancy at Ethiojobs.
Note: Use “Head Nurse/Health Team Leader” as the subject line of your email !